Catherine Ingram MA L.I.S.T.D. Dip CDE Principal
As a dancer, my experience includes training in classical ballet, tap, modern and jazz dance, commencing at age 3 years to vocational level.
I then started working as an assistant teacher in a large school in South London, when I moved back to Portsmouth in 1982 I undertook my teacher training in Classical Ballet.
After working as a freelance teacher in various establishments including Portsmouth University, Portsmouth Arts Centre, Ashcroft Arts Centre, and Adult Education Centres, I established the Giselle Academy of Dance and Theatre Arts to have a permanent base from which to teach children and young people.
My qualifications include:
- First Class Masters Degree in Dance Technique Pedagogy
- Licentiate Diploma in Classical Ballet
- Certificate in Dance Education in Ballet, Tap and Modern
- Associate Diploma in Modern Theatre Dance
- Certificate in Applied Anatomy and Physiology
- Certificate in History and Development of Western Dance
- Registered Tutor for I.S.T.D
- Adjudicator for the British and International Federation of Festivals
I am completely committed to encouraging children of all ages and abilities to enjoy dance and the performing arts, bringing out the best of their talents. To help me do this, I am committed to my on-going professional training, which has included being a member of the Royal Ballet Teacher Link Course, many training courses covering teaching pointe work, boys, challenging physiques, psychological techniques for improving dance performance, bioenergetics, and residential teachers courses with the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing.
I also incorporate the teaching of drama into the school curriculum, because not only is it a performing art in its own right, but drama is vital to dancers and singers to help with expression. I studied drama at school and college and take great pleasure in running the junior theatre companies within the school.