How is everyone doing?
I would like to say again a big THANK YOU to you all for your support through this pandemic. I don’t think any of us realised it was going to go on for quite so long – but we are still dancing!
UPDATE RE COVID-19
I have attended meetings with the government representative from OneDance Uk, Head of Education and Training from ISTD and the European Representative of ISTD, and have discussed re-starting classes, risk assessments and the regulations concerning COVID-19. I have also heard from dance teachers in Italy and Spain who are a little ahead of us in terms of getting back into classes and the precautions they have implemented. Following these discussions, I am confident in saying that we should be back in the Landport Centre when terms starts in September.
Practices put in place will probably include:
- Parents dropping children off at the door (with possible exception of Pre-School Parents)
- Students arriving in their dance wear
- Outdoor shoes put into plastic bag before entering studio, and bringing a separate carrier bag to put other clothes in whilst dancing
- Separate entrance and exit doors
- Spaces in studio marked out to ensure social distancing
- Surfaces wiped down in-between classes, i.e ballet barres, Acro equipment
- Management of the centre will ensure enchased cleaning is in progress daily (I will be meeting to discuss their risk assessment in conjunction with ours)
- Classes finishing 5 minutes early, and starting 5 minutes late to allow for changeover
- Assistants available in reception to facilitate and monitor the moving around of pupils in the building
- Wiping down soles of feet/bottom of ballet and tap shoes before and after each class
- Younger pupils will remain in fixed groups
- Drinks and packed lunches should be brought in named bottles/boxes and students reminded not to swap with others.
- Students encouraged to wash their hands regularly
- Obviously, we will ask you not to bring your child to class if they have been in contact with COVID-19, or if they, or any family member tests positive or shows symptoms of Corona Virus
These are initial plans, and a final email will be sent out once all arrangements are in place.
So now for the GOOD NEWS and UPCOMING EVENTS:
OPEN CLASSES AND END OF YEAR AWARDS. We invite you to sit in and watch your child’s classes between the 20th and 25th July. Our Annual Awards and Spirit Medals will be presented (virtually) during these classes, and actual trophies and medals can be collected at a later date. It will make a change from squeezing into a hot, sweaty studio to see what your child has been doing!
We are planning some great SUMMER CLASSES AND WORKSHOPS in place of Summer School! Spaces will be limited due to social distancing. A final timetable with days/times will follow shortly, but classes will include:
- BALLET COACHING with Miss Cathie
- MUSICAL THEATRE TAP CLASS with Miss Nicola
- MUSICAL THEATRE REPERTOIRE CLASS with Anto Buckley and Patrick Cook (Royal Caribbean Cruise Performers, professional performers)
- COMMERCIAL DANCE CLASS with Anto Buckley and Patrick Cook
- EXAM CLASSES with Miss Meghann
- SHOW WORK CLASSES
- LUIGI JAZZ CLASS with Patrick Cook
Exam bookings with ISTD are opening up on the 3rd August, and I have asked teachers for their lists of those pupils ready for a November /December examination session. Again, due to the current situation, I cannot guarantee we get a session then, as I am sure all teachers will be booking in! Letters outlining further details will go out towards the end of August to those students who are being entered, .
Some of our teachers have been getting in some inspiring CPD training during lockdown, and I myself have attended many interesting lectures and classes on Classical Greek Dance, Posture and Pelvic Alignment, Training Ballet Technique, Advanced Level Ballet, and Teacher training Webinars with The Royal Ballet School. Miss Meghann has been punishing herself with gruelling Jazz and Modern classes with some of the top Jazz teachers in the country, Miss Nicola attended a lecture on the New Modern Musical Theatre Amalgamations, and has booked herself onto the Progressing Ballet Technique Course.We are all looking at more courses in August.
All this Continued Professional Development is invaluable for motivating and inspiring our teachers, as well as keeping them up to date with changes in current thinking, and will transfer over to your child’s classroom and training.
Term ends on 25th July, and commences back in the centre (fingers crossed) on Tuesday 1st September.
Your last payment for this summer term is due on the 1st August. Jade will be sending out invoices for the autumn term in late August, so please look out for this and don’t forget to amend your invoice for September.
Don’t forget, we can order uniform leotards, shoes, tights etc! Please ask for a price list and order form if you need anything, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
I look forward to seeing you all in person very soon. Until then, keep dancing!